[Editor's Note: Jeffrey Katz, Volunteer Liaison, shares some year-end CERT successes in a holiday message adapted from his weekly email. From all of us at Fairfax County CERT, happy holidays!]
For the calendar year 2014, the CERT program has issued 291 CERT certificates (from 14 classes) to volunteers who have completed the 24- to 30-hour training. That is a graduation rate of about 80% of the total registrants for the classes.
During the same time frame, we have held 35 extracurricular classes, trainings, and exercises, with a total participation of 732 students. This is not including the 200-plus actors/victims from the classes and exercises, and the 120 Boy Scouts who attended the CERT/Emergency Preparedness Camporee at the Academy.
Some of the things to look forward to during the next 18 months:
- The formation of neighborhood teams.
- Introduction to windshield surveys.
- Volunteering for the World Police Fire Games in July of 2015.
- More refresher classes and exercises.
- And many more opportunities to further your knowledge and skills.
- Save-the-date: CERT Potluck on January 18, 2015
Jeffrey Katz is Volunteer Liaison, Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department. You can email him at email@example.com.