Registered CERT CON participants, check your email for a "Message to Attendees" that has all the logistical information you'll need, including start times, directions, session information, and more. Here are some of the highlights:
Getting to CERT CON 2013Saturday's CERT CON events will be held on the campus of Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale Campus. The address is 8333 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003:
Please park in Parking Lot B. CERT staffers in vests will be on hand to guide traffic, and once you've parked, follow the signs to the Ernst Cultural Community Center (Building CE on the campus map).
|The Ernst Cultural Community Center|
Are You Registered for Your Saturday Sessions?The attendee email also includes a link to the registration form for Saturday's breakout seminars. Make sure you've indicated your choices -- the planning team is doing its best ensure that people get their first choice of seminar.
You can see class session descriptions, instructor bios and more at the CERT CON 2013 Registration page.
Saturday Social MediaWe'll have guest access to the campus Wi-Fi network -- check at the registration desk for details.
If you'll be posting content from CERT CON:
* Tag your blog posts, photos, etc. with "CERTCON"
* Twitter users, use the hashtag #CERTCON, and follow @FairfaxCtyCERT for updates about the event, and to submit questions and feedback via @reply or DM.
* Flickr users, add your photos to the CERT CON 2013 photo pool
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!Remember, Sunday will be the full-scale exercise, and it'll take place at the former Lorton Correctional Facility in Lorton, Virginia. If you're a "victim" actor, please arrive by 7:30 AM so your injury makeup ("moulage") can be applied -- all others should arrive by 8 AM.
Full directions and site information will be given out on Saturday. (If you're a "victim" actor, or only attending Sunday, please email email@example.com for location information.)
|CERTs training at the Lorton site earlier in 2013.|
- Bring photo ID. (Victim actors will also be required to sign a waiver.)
- Wear ONLY closed-toe shoes. No flip-flops, sandals, etc. No exceptions. (There's a lot of broken glass and rubble at the site.)
- Long pants are mandatory. That's right: No shorts.
- Bring insect repellent, sunscreen, and a water bottle. (Ticks are a known hazard at the site.)
- CERTs who will be participating in the exercise should remember to bring their CERT gear, including full PPE (personal protective equipment.)
We look forward to seeing you this weekend. Remember, you can check the CERT CON 2013 event page for more information.
Finally, if you like, please post a comment below to introduce yourself to your fellow attendees.