Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Tree Safety....


As I mentioned before, the holidays see an influx of fires throughout the country. Here is a short breakdown of some fires which occured over the last few days. If you are choosing to celebrate the season with a Christmas tree, again, please beware of the problems lights can have on your tree. If you are celebrating the holidays with lots of candles, please, never leave them alone.
****************************
San Antonio
Lights left running on a Christmas tree were blamed for a fire that damaged a home Monday on San Antonio's North Side. A passer-by called 911 after seeing flames shooting out of a home in the 1100 block of El Monte at 9 a.m.
District Fire Chief Robert Elizondo said that it appears the lights overheated and ignited an artificial tree. Elizondo said it's important that residents not leave Christmas lights on when they are away from their home.
"They can get significantly hot, sometimes overload," he said. "It may be good to make sure you put them on power strips, so that if they detect overheating ... (it can) turn off before it gets to the tree." Elizondo added that the best to do is unplug indoor decorations when you are out of the house.
The home suffered significant water and smoke damage.

Port Huron
Firefighters from Port Huron's three fire stations responded to the call at about 3:38 p.m., but said the damage largely was restricted to the immediate area of the tree.
Port Huron fire Battalion Chief Kevin Anderson said the fire will be listed as accidental, caused by a malfunctioning Christmas light.
"We think the tree may have fallen, and the weight of the tree sandwiching the lights (between the floor) and itself may have started the fire," he said.

New York City
A fire in a Bronx apartment building, apparently caused by faulty Christmas lights, left a man fighting for his life last night, authorities said.
Eleven firefighters and 13 civilians suffered minor injuries in the blaze at 2334 Boston Post Road.
The critically injured victim, a 58-year-old man, was found in cardiac arrest in the eighth-floor hallway. Neighbors said firefighters told them that lights on a tree were to blame for the 6:20 p.m. blaze

Chandler, AZ
Firefighters extinguished a blaze in a home Monday that began with unattended candles that ignited a Christmas tree, fire officials said.A woman who lives in the home told fire officials she left candles burning and left the home shortly before the fire, said Battalion Chief Dan Couch, a Chandler Fire spokesman. No one else was in the home.The fire, contained to the living room, began at 12:10 p.m. and created “a lot of smoke damage,” in the home, in the 1600 block of West Ironwood Drive near Dobson and Ray roads, Couch said. No one was injured, he said. “The lesson in this is, anytime you leave the house even if it is to walk to the mailbox, you've got to put out those candles,” Couch said.

Carpinteria, CA
A set of Christmas tree lights are being blamed for a fire in Carpinteria that killed an elderly woman.
It happened at the San Roque Mobile Home Park in the 5700 block of Via Real in Carpinteria. Firefighters say the Christmas lights that caused the Saturday blaze overheated, setting a pair of drapes on fire.
The lights were the big style bulbs, the kind that firefighters do not recommend because they produce a dangerous amount of heat.
A charred shell is all that's left of the Carpinteria mobile home. The blaze broke out Saturday morning and took the life of the 88-year-old woman who had been asleep inside.

Be sure to pay attention to any manufactuer recalls regarding lights which may be faulty.

You can also go sans tree, decorations, etc. as I am doing this year....like every year.

Stay safe.

Mike
















1 comment:

  1. Here is the short version:

    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/news/maarchive/ma2007/ma07_025.htm

    Read the tag.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome insightful comments from the community that add value to the conversation. Spam, offensive, harassing, off-topic or inappropriate posts may be deleted.